Sunday, June 5, 2011

Summer At Long Last

The paper told us on Saturday morning that in Whatcom County we had gone for a total of 249 consecutive days with the temperature never reaching 70 degrees.  Add to this lack of heat a perpetually grey sky and fairly consistent rain, and you can understand why people went a little crazy this weekend.  We surpassed 70 by several degrees and the sky was bright blue and cloud free.  It was glorious and so needed for our psyches!  People were EVERYWHERE,: every park was full, every beach was full, BB Q's and wading pools were hauled out and bare feet saw the light of day for the first time in 8 months!

Our day was full, we had three different celebrations to attend which required detailed planning.  First on the agenda was Liam's first birthday!



Michelle (redhead to the left) is Liam's Mom and a young and talented English teacher at Sehome.  She's one of my favorite people and I was honored to be included in the celebration.

From Whatcom Falls park and Liams bash we headed to an open house at our home church in honor of one of my favorite members of our church family, Lisa.  Lisa sings like and angel and has just completed her degree in voice at Cedarville University in Ohio.  She is beautiful inside and out and is vivacious and affectionate.  Love this girl.



I knitted her some socks!  I think she was pleased!


We completed our round of party-hopping at my good friend, Lynn's, home where she was hosting an open house for her daughter, Elise, who will graduate Summa Cum Laude from high school in just 5 days.  I had an integral part in helping to bring Elise into the world! Lynn's husband works in Eastern Washington and has to commute back and forth weekly for his job.  It takes him about 7 hours to get home, so we decided that I would be Lynn's "coach".  We attended Lamaze classes together and I was the one who got the call in the middle of the night to take her to the hospital and coach her until Rich was able to arrive.  Thankfully, he made it in time for the actual birth and it was one of the highlights of my life to be a part of this event.  I think Elise turned out pretty well!


She will attend Whitman this fall and Lynn will join me in the ranks of "empty-nesters".  Where did all that time go? 

No comments: