Friday, December 14, 2012

Early Christmas Present for All

One of my great joys in life is watching the birds at my many bird feeders.  I've always kept seed feeders, and suet feeders as well as hummingbird feeders in the back and the front of the house.  We have several Anna's Hummingbirds, which winter over in the Pacific Northwest, that have made this their year-round home so we can enjoy them regardless of the season.  

We also have a plethora of other wildlife who like to avail themselves of the buffet.  We have deer who frequent the backyard and who have broken my clothesline twice trying to get at the feeders I had hung there.  I moved them under the eave, that solved that problem.  But we also have a plethora of squirrels who have made it their mission in life to access my feeders no matter what tactic I use to thwart them.  I've tried putting pie pans over the feeders; I've tried putting frisbees over the feeders; I've tried it all...short of the pricey "domes" that you can buy at the farm stores.  This week they managed to knock it down and punch a huge hole in the side of it.  So Wally surprised me today when I got home from work with an early Christmas present...two, not just one, giant feeders that he has rigged up with an overhang so the squirrels can't hang off the roof and get to the them!  We shall see if man vs. squirrel triumphs!