Friday, July 24, 2009

Enduring Friendship #2




In 2000 I applied for a job as assistant librarian at Sehome High School. Eileen Andersen was the librarian at that time and I had made arrangements to come a visit the library before I had my interview with the district, just to make sure I would be a good fit for this position. I was thrilled when I walked in and saw large numbers of kids working together on projects, using computers AND books and talking and collaborating and....gasp....laughing. I'm not a fan of quiet libraries. I realize there needs to be a modicum of seriousness, but libraries should also be places where kids can work together. Then I had a good long chat with Eileen and I knew this was the place I wanted to be. Thankfully, the Lord agreed and I was offered the position. Eileen retired shortly after that, but in the short time we worked together we became close friends and we continue to get together as often as possible. One of my favorite things to do is to visit with her in her charming cottage by the sea on Samish Island. We can talk for hours and never run out of things to discuss and think about. And...we are the ultimate shopping buddies!

1 comment:

STE said...

Hi Ridge, thanks for all your sweet comments. I really enjoy reading your blog too. You, Wally and Jess have such a rich life together - full of such kind hearted friends. You are such a gifted writer - you and my dad are a lot alike that way - your love of reading and writing. Hope the sun going down is giving you some relief from the heat, love, Eliza