Monday, August 17, 2009

Hats Off To You

A group of women from our church gather monthly for sit and knit sessions. Usually I am not able to attend as I am yet to be a lady of retirement leisure, but this month I was invited to the English Tea event. We were to dress appropriately. I was in a quandary as I had a dress, but thought a hat would be just the perfect accompaniment; but, alas, I didn't have one. So I made a visit to the local Goodwill and found a lovely cherry red straw hat. It was pretty smooshed after being stuffed into an overcrowded hat rack and it boasted a really unfortunate braided something-or-other around its crown. I thought it was was worth rescuing, so I paid the exorbitant $1.00 and brought it home, removed the braided thing-amajig, put it on top of a plastic bowl, sprayed it with water and let it sit for a few hours and....viola....a lovely summer hat.

Here we are in all our finery. Lynn (2nd from the left) is in her usual "good form" and has dressed and "stuffed" herself to the hilt. Um, let's just say that this is not her usual "profile". She was the spitting image of Nanny McPhee. She cracks me up! Just a sampling of the delicacies we shared along with good company and, of course, knitting!
We drove down to Seattle on Sat. to pick Jess up for a brief one-day stay. We stopped on the way home at the street fair in Marysville and spent a bit of time in an antique store where she found a fabulous hat and an old French phone. She looks every bit the part of a Gibson Girl and I couldn't resist the urge to snap a shot!




1 comment:

"Sunshine" said...

I am a friend of Flower and noticed your comment on her blog. I see that you are a knitter, and so am I.

Would be interested in seeing some of your work. I was born in Norway where, when I was young, knitting was a necessity.
You can see from my blog a little outfit I made for my grand-daughter, Sofie as an example of the work I do. I do not sell, I give away!!!!
Hoping to hear from you.
"Sunshine"