Thursday, December 25, 2008

A Window Into the Soul

Every fall we began scouring stores for advent calendars for the upcoming Christmas season. These calendars are a tradition for us and we are particularly fond of the "old fashioned" ones that have the traditional, detailed drawings of families enjoying the holiday season. This year we hit gold when we were visiting Jess in Oregon in November. We found two perfect ones at Powells Bookstore and we've been opening the windows daily since December 1st, culminating in the BIG window on the 24th which always pictures Mary, Joseph and Jesus.

It occurred to me that God uses the "advent calendar" of His Word to speak to us in well-crafted word pictures on a daily basis. It doesn't matter how many times I read the same verse over and over, He still finds new ways to enlighten me with his truths. It's like unwrapping a Christmas present every day, peeling back the layers of His wisdom as He finds new ways to give me those delightful "ah ha" moments. Each day I open the "present" that He intends for me to use for such a time as this. What a mighty God we serve!

No comments: